Monday, October 15, 2007

Badassitude

Last week when I did some recording for my Nancy (my voice coach)'s compilation CD, she said, "You know, I think this power lifting is contributing to your blues singing. They are both badass things to do." This then prompted me to coin the term 'badassitude.'

Adding to my repertoire of badass activities, I started karate class on Saturday. Vincent has been in a kids' karate class since the summer, and Heinz and I promised him that we would join the white belt class when he was ready to move up. Last week, the sensei pronounced him ready, so Saturday morning all three of us suited up in our gis and joined the class.

My past workouts served me well. I didn't get winded during the insane number of jumping jacks (Heinz and Vincent did) and I made it through all 80 pushups. That's easily more pushups than I have done in the last 3 months. And that was just the warmup! Karate is definitely going to round out my cardio work.

Later that afternoon I had to go do my back workout, as I had skipped it earlier in the week to allow more recovery time from physical therapy. It's sad when the treatment is worse than the injury! The combination of all those pushups + dead lifts + chin-ups + lat raises + one-arm pulley rows = a bit of soreness on Sunday. Not bad though, especially considering that Heinz said he was sore all over, especially in the abs. He hasn't been doing cruches and core exercises like I do after my power lifting. Being married to Mr. Super Metabolism all this time, I never thought I'd see the day when I would be in better shape than him. Now that I have seen it, I must say that I don't mind...and fortunately, neither does he.

No comments: