Monday, October 8, 2007

Power Lifting to Power Ballads

Last week was very busy. I am still treating my shoulder injury, probably for another week or two, so am lifting less until it's completely healed. Then I'll gradually ramp up again after that. All the workouts last week were great, and I went up another 10 lbs on squat (still doing less than I can, but focusing more on form). Cory has me doing all the lifts exactly as I would do in competition so I get used to it.

For instance, on squat, one of the biggest barriers to lifting more is that having a narrow metal bar across your shoulders with a bunch of weight piled on each side means the bar digs into your back. It's not the most pleasant thing, and some people use a pad on the bar at the gym to alleviate that. However, since they are not allowed in competition, no pad for me! I always have a millisecond just when I lift the bar off the stand and the amount of weight really registers, and then I just get past it and go.

Friday I did my leg workout, then home to clean up and get ready for a gig that night (hence the posting title). I don't think anything on the set list would actually qualify as a power ballad, though...

No comments: